Linux Open Source Sound
Panayiotis Kokoras - 'slida'
Track 6 from the Linux Open Source Sound CD.
I started to work on Slida during the winter of 2002. Slida is a piece for tape alone in which all the sound material comes from the classical guitar. I explored in depth the unusual characteristics of the guitar's sound idiom. I played the instrument by scratching on the strings, knocking on the back of its body, hammering and sweeping, and even breaking, the strings themselves. I coupled the guitar with the use of unconventional objects treated as extensions of the guitar, like brass or glass slides, metal sticks or brushes, in order to obtain a better control, development and transformation of the sound. Thus, with the help of computer digital tools, I tried to reveal moments that the ear would hardly hear normally. I tried to isolate fragments which are rarely perceived by the listener? or even the performer? in the course of a performance. I then tried to take the sound further from its true nature and make it suitable for the particular composition.
Every second in the work is very detailed and carefully elaborated. Each acquires its own importance; however, the dramatic succession of that particular "moments" in the structure of the work assumes an essential role within it. Every gesture justifies both the next and the preceding one, and all join together to create phrases, then sections, and finally the composition itself.
The realization of the work took place at the electroacoustic music studio of York University. The main sound editing and mixing of the work made out on an IRIX Silicon Graphics O2 system.
- Panayiotis Kokoras.
Technical means used for the realization of the work:
* Microphones: 2 mics, Neumann, KM184, SG 100
* Preamplifier: dual mic Focusrite
* Converter: 18 bit A/D ProBox 4, Audio Design
* DAT: Tascam DA-30 MK II
* Headphones: SONY digital reference MDR-CD270
* Classical Guitar: YAMAHA CG - 190 S
STUDIO OF REALIZATION
* Postgraduate Electroacoustic Studio at York University. Workstation: O2 Silicon Graphics, IRIX
On O2 Silicon Graphics with IRIX 6 U n i x OS
* Cecilia v.2.0 - environment for digital sound processing and csound programming
* Ceres3 v.0.26 - graphical sound editor working in the frequency domain
* IPV v.1.0 - interactive Phase Vocoder Treatment for SGI
* CDP -Composition Development Performance- (Composer Tools for Sound Design)
* Sound Editor - Audio Recorder/ Editor
* MIX v.0.57 - simple sound file mixer
* Mammut v.0.7 - program for experimental audio processing, using Mammut FFT
* Spaceverb v.1.2 - provides reverberation effects by mapping high quality real world acoustic environments directly onto input signal
* SVP v.1.42 - a software for analysis processing & synthesis of sound
* Pd v.0.35 - real-time graphical programming environment for audio and graphical processing
This track has been downloaded 492 times since it was uploaded 18 Jan 2006.
Not yet rated
Vote for this track
You must be logged in to vote